The Prowl

Student Newspaper of Plymouth South High School. Find us on Twitter @ProwlPSHS

The Prowl

The Prowl

Just search for The Prowl in your Facebook search bar.

Noah Kahan’s “Stick Season” Album Encompasses the Perfect Melancholy Fall Feeling

The viral album, first released in 2022, captured Gen Z’s attention after gaining traction on TikTok, featuring hits such as “Northern Attitude”, “Stick Season”, and “Homesick”. 

Just recently, Vermont’s singer/songwriter Noah Kahan has gone viral for his indie folk music, capitalizing on his New England heritage and his quiet life growing up. Kahan’s music evokes an extremely emotional and nostalgic feeling in his listeners, which is what makes his music so loveable and relatable for his teenage audience. While Kahan has been creating music since 2017, he began gaining popularity after his 2021 album “I was/I am”, and has received significantly more attention for his albums since then. The “Stick Season” album is arguably his most well known and loved album, resulting in Kahan having over 24.5 million monthly listeners on Spotify. After the initial release of the album, Kahan has released “Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever)”, which is an extended version of the album with seven extra bonus tracks. 

While some listeners may not like the slower tempo of Kahan’s music, he perfectly captures the essence of fall through his heart-wrenchingly relatable lyrics and unique instrumental style. His tracks mainly focus on the different emotions he’s experienced while growing up in a small New England town, which deeply resonates with many of his audience members. His lyrics tug on the heart strings of teenagers everywhere and elicits a very emotional and melancholic feeling from the listeners. “Stick Season” is a versatile album, with more upbeat songs like “She Calls Me Back” and “Homesick”, as well as more slower, emotional songs like “Orange Juice” and “New Perspective”. Overall, this album perfectly showcases Noah Kahan’s innate talent through both his lyricism and his music as a whole, resulting in a five star review from the majority of his listeners.