The Must Visit Mountain

Snowy Killington Resort, ready for family fun!

Mila Manic, Staff Writer

Looking for a skiing destination to take the whole family to? Look no further; the answer is Killington Peak. Killington Mountain, located in Rutland County, is the second biggest mountain in Vermont, reaching an astounding 4,236 feet and having up to 2,000 skiable acres. With 155 trails ranging from a beginner to advanced levels, there are 73 miles to conquer. Killington Peak offers something for everyone including glades, moguls, groomed piste, backcountry, powder, or any of their 6 terrain parks. There are also 2 half pipes located on the mountain, one of which is Olympic sized and hosted the 2011 Winter Dew Sports Games, where Shaun White (our current gold medalist in men’s snowboarding halfpipe) participated in. In 2016 and 2017, Killington Mountain hosted the World Cup, where our very own Mikaela Shiffrin skied and won in the slalom competition. When the top Olympic athletes are competing and winning at Killington Mountain, it means you can too.

Killington is able to create such perfect conditions for athletes to engage in through its first class snowmaking. Opening in October and closing as far as June first, Killington offers perfect conditions throughout the season no matter what Mother Nature throws at them. Having a total of 1,700 snow guns allows for up to 12 inches of fresh powder to be distributed over 60 acres. With the help of their 17 snowcats, 40 miles of terrain a night are groomed offering a consistent top-to-bottom surface for all riders. Doing so gives guests quality snow to try on a daily basis. With close to perfect conditions and endless possibilities to ski or snowboard, Killington Resort still offers more!

Killington Resort has reasonable prices and countless discounts so you can bring the whole family. They offer refunds for any and all tickets purchased. Children under the age of 6, and Seniors over the age of 80 ski free! Killington also offers stay and go packages with prizes such as free tickets, that account for long trip expenses. Killington further provides the 4.0 College Pass that targets all college students looking for a place to shred. This pass has major rewards that don’t kill your wallet. One perk of the 4.0 College Pass is having unrestricted access to Okemo Mountain Resort, and Mount Sunapee Resort; allowing you to try and experience more for less. Their easy to use website makes the purchasing process a breeze, so there is more time spent having fun and less being stressed. Killington also offers multiple ski school programs that are perfect for beginners or even advanced skiers looking to reach a higher level. As you can see, Killington Resort is a great place to visit with endless fun and satisfactory prices; they’ve got you covered!

Winter isn’t your season? Fear not, Killington Mountain is still the place for you; maintaining fun throughout the summer, fall, and spring. Killington offers mountain biking with 29 trails, giving you 30 miles to ride. Their trails include all features ranging from jumps, to burns, to bridges, making it fun for everyone. The variation amongst their trails allows for modern and or traditional mountain biking so you can get a feel for everything. Not much of a biker? There are 15 miles dedicated to hiking trails ranging in levels of difficulty so you can explore and experience in nature. Looking for a more relaxing time? Their 18 hole championship golf course is just for you, with 6,186 yards devoted to pure golf, resulting in a 72 par. Still not convinced? The K-1 Express Gondola runs throughout the year offering a scenic ride to the newest peak lodge on Killington mountain. This lodge is like no other, giving breathtaking views at its 4,236ft elevation. The peak lodge provides a cozy location for all visitors with great food as a plus. Another must do is the adventure center they offer. Here there are a number of rides, ziplines, and activities that everyone can participate in. Killington makes sure to target all groups of people, from athletes, to spectators, ranging in ages 5 to 105 years old. Killington has safe, friendly, family, fun that is guaranteed to make lasting memories.  

So stop your searching. Killington Mountain is the place to go with your family and friends. Coming to Killington ensures that your time and money won’t be wasted, that you’ll get to try new things, and that you’ll leave accomplished by what you were able to achieve at Killington Peak. Since the age of 3, I have gone back to Killington Mountain bringing more people every stay. I have personally skied their trails for over 10 years, and each season, time and time again I’m always impressed by what they achieve. The mountain is truly welcoming with hard working employees and adventurous residents. Once you visit, you’ll have to come again to make sure you’ve tried everything! Get a head start and visit their website to buy tickets, explore, and make future plans.

http://www.killington.com/site/index.html