Not just Good, but Golden: Golden Year’s Club a Hit with Students

PSHS’s hippest club is one with a connection to the past

Sam Elliott, Staff Writer

As we enter the fall and winter seasons, we seek comfort as it grows colder outside. A cozy place to come to unwind, learn new crafts, and meet new people is The Golden Years Club.

Every Monday from 2-3pm in room 207, the club features a variety of activities to participate in such as knitting, crocheting, puzzles, and more. Don’t know how to knit or crochet? Don’t worry! Teachers and long-time members of the club are happy to help teach and assist. The club provides a large variety of yarn to use and borrow, as well as different size knitting needles and crochet hooks.

Who is the President of Golden Years Club? No other than Janis Vasquez; a Senior of the Graphic Design and Visual Communications tech who is passionate about art, knitting, and crocheting. I asked Janis a few questions about Golden Years Club to give considering members more insight:

Q: Why did you join Golden Years in your freshman year?

A: “To be honest I never knew anything about knitting or crocheting until I joined the club. Once I saw a crochet dinosaur at the club fair I knew I had to learn.”

Q: What teachers are involved with the club? 

A: “Other than our club advisor Mrs. Sorenson we have other teachers who tend to stop by, like Mrs. Simpson and Mr. Stanton.”

Q: Why should people join Golden Years? 

A: “Golden years club isn’t just about learning your way around yarn, we build relationships, meet new people, sip some tea or cocoa and just relax. Mondays can be pretty stressful for a lot of us and it’s good to unwind at the end of the school day.”

As a second-year member of Golden Years Club, I strongly encourage students of any grade to join or just come check it out and grab a snack. Members of the club are super friendly and would love to chat and help you learn. Also, make sure to check out the club’s Instagram: @pshs_goldenyears.

If you’re looking to learn more about knitting or crocheting here are some resources to look into:

How to Crochet: A Complete Beginner’s Guide – EasyCrochet.com

This resource features answers to any questions you might have about crocheting, such as materials you’ll need, beginner stitches and techniques, information on how to read patterns, as well as step-by-step tutorials. This resource is thoroughly detailed and covers every aspect of crocheting you would need to begin.

How To Knit for Beginners – Sheep and Stitch

This resource provides organized easy to follow instructions on the full process of basic knitting. I love this site because there are videos to watch within the site, which is an extremely helpful way to learn how to knit. The page covers the different materials you’ll need, information about knitting needles, and detailed how-to steps on the knitting process.

My advice for aspiring knitters, crocheters, and crafters is to stick with it. These skills can be extraordinarily difficult to learn and master. If you get too frustrated, put it down and pick it up the next day, because with practice it only gets easier.