The Prowl

Student Newspaper of Plymouth South High School. Find us on Twitter @ProwlPSHS

The Prowl

The Prowl

Just search for The Prowl in your Facebook search bar.

Dr. Jane Goodall: From Chimpanzees to Our Panthers With an Inspiring Message

Plymouth South High School was honored to greet the legendary Dr. Jane Goodall to come and speak to select students, highlighting her story and new initiative Roots & Shoots, in collaboration with The Farmhouse.

What makes her legendary? She lived with chimpanzees!

In 1960, Goodall set off to Gombe to observe chimpanzees’ behaviors and environment.

Goodall has been very influential in both the world of environmental sciences and psychology, Her months-long study in the jungle of Gombe led to a number of revelations. As it turns out- we are not too different from chimpanzees. In fact, we are very closely related genetically. Goodall moved on in her studies, moving scientific mountains with starting The Gombe Stream Research Centre, publishing numerous books, founding The Jane Goodall Institute and much more. The list of her accomplishments is never ending and a tricky one to beat.

Jane Goodall stops to enjoy The Farmhouse on her visit to Plymouth     Photo by Alex Tsourides

Arguably the most inspiring thing about Dr. Goodall is her upbringing. Her inspirational story to the students touched upon growing up in poverty, everyone telling her that her aspirations were merely dreams, and her constant persistence fueled by her passions.

Goodall encouraged students and said, “If you really want to do this, work really hard and take every opportunity.” On South’s stage and Farmhouse green, she encouraged students to look for what they are going to do in their own lives, during and beyond high school.

In addition to her work with chimpanzees, Goodall has consistently fought out against deforestation, pollution and other various factors towards the environment.

“Give nature time and a helping hand” she said to Plymouth South students. This has been solidified by her most recent initiative, Roots & Shoots, a youth program dedicated to helping and informing communities in order to better the planet as a whole. This program has only continued to flourish, establishing itself in over 60 countries and now within our very own town of Plymouth.

Some of our students attended an event hosted at a local community center, The Farmhouse, to become acquainted with the area and get more intimate moments with Goodall.

Paul Krasinski, founder of The Farmhouse, shared a similar dream with Goodall of hoping to encourage young people to chase after their dreams and build a community in the process. Students had the opportunity to think about these dreams, grab inspiration from stories surrounding them and build connections with one another while touring the many acres of The Farmhouse.

If you’re interested in finding out more information about The Jane Goodall Institute and The Farmhouse, check out these links below:

https://janegoodall.org/our-work/our-approach/roots-shoots/
https://www.thefarmhouse.life/