The Prowl

Student Newspaper of Plymouth South High School. Find us on Twitter @ProwlPSHS

The Prowl

The Prowl

Just search for The Prowl in your Facebook search bar.

Cartoon Network’s “Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated” Is Keeping Both Children and Adult Viewers on Their Toes

“Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated”, a cartoon given to us by Cartoon Network, is full of funny, witty lines, and is overall an entertaining program for both children and adult audiences. 

In “Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated”, an animated TV show by Cartoon Network, a group of teenagers, accompanied by a dog named Scooby-Doo, express their interest in solving their town’s mysteries. Located in Southern California, Crystal Cove is filled with the wildest of mysteries, and the wildest of traps to capture the monsters. Fred Jones, lead male of the young investigators and voiced by Frank Welker, expresses his intense interest in setting traps. Daphne, voiced by Grey DeLisle, on the other hand, expresses her love for Fred, who couldn’t care less about her presence. Throughout the pilot episode, titled, “Beware the Beast from Below”, the characters are wrapped up in drama within their group, but are still able to work together to set traps and fight against crime. In the pilot episode, the gang discovers a green monster who cocoons people in slime, and they take it upon themselves to discover who is behind the mask. They discover town secrets along the way, and continue to build upon their relationships with one another. 

I really enjoyed the pilot episode of this cartoon. It was very entertaining, and kept me on my toes. Though it’s a show for children, it has a layer of sarcasm and humor that isn’t meant for children. The writers utilized irony and sarcasm to make the show interesting to both children, and adults. In one instance, a few workers stumbled upon a bucket labeled “danger”, and said it was a great idea to open it up. Adults, or older kids, are able to sense the sarcasm of the writers and find humor in the situation. There were few things I disliked about the show, but one of the more notable ones was the role of the female characters. I felt it was stereotypical for both female leads to be obsessed with the male leads. This is easy to overlook as an adult, but I feel can make the wrong impression in young children of how the genders are “supposed” to act.  One voice actor that I think did particularly well was the voice of Scooby-Doo, Frank Welker, whom you might also remember as the voice actor of Fred Jones. Having one role is hard enough, but having two, and doing as well as Welker did, is amazing. He not only voiced two roles, but one of which was a dog character. The voice change between the dog, Scooby-Doo, and the human, Fred Jones, was incredible. I had no clue that they were voiced by the same actor. Overall, I give this show 4 out of 5 stars.