The Prowl

Student Newspaper of Plymouth South High School. Find us on Twitter @ProwlPSHS

The Prowl

The Prowl

Just search for The Prowl in your Facebook search bar.

Town Officials Need to Take Responsibility for White’s Pond

Plymouth–White’s Pond in the ponds of Plymouth is an amazing place but some people are destroying it. I live right next to White’s Pond so I know almost everything that happens there. The pond is a very beautiful place but is littered with tons of trash. People also host parties, bonfires, and drug deals at the pond. Lots of trash is left at the pond including vape boxes, beer bottles/cans, and plastic bags. The pond also has a rope swing which is arguably the best thing there but people keep cutting it down because it’s “unsafe”. Mostly people who live outside of the ponds of Plymouth come and destroy the pond. People also light off fireworks which go extremely close to my house, one time someone lit a firework in the entrance of the pond and smoke went everywhere. In the summertime, the pond gets packed and cars line up and down the street.

The amount of trash being littered leads to the trash blowing into the water and harming the wildlife. Music blares at 2 am and screaming erupts from parties hosted at the pond and it is very annoying when I am trying to sleep. Bonfires leave a mess of charred wood and even more trash on the sand. Since there is so much trash at the pond, me and others who live close need to go and pick up trash ourselves. People also throw trash in my yard when they leave the pond. The town does not clean it up or do anything to stop the suspicious activity at the pond. During the winter and fall drug deals happen at the pond, the police come sometimes but nothing ever changes. The rope swing has always been in a cycle of being cut and then rebuilt. Since drug deals happen at the pond sometimes there are needles on the ground. Some people park in front of our house when the pond has no more parking spaces, which is really annoying because then we can’t get out of our driveway.

To fix all these problems only people who live in the ponds should be allowed into the pond. Free stickers should be given out to residents and someone should be there to check for stickers, especially during the summer. The town did put a sign up saying no littering, no dogs on the beach, etc. and a trash can but a week later someone stole the trash can and no one followed the sign. Someone also stole the White’s Pond sign about four years ago and a new one has not been installed. Many people in my neighborhood want White’s Pond to be a sticker pond since so many people use it and ruin it. If the pond can’t become a sticker pond then the town should at least send people to pick up all the litter. Right now residences go and clean up themselves because the amount of trash gets so bad.