The Prowl

Student Newspaper of Plymouth South High School. Find us on Twitter @ProwlPSHS

The Prowl

The Prowl

Just search for The Prowl in your Facebook search bar.

Taylors Version vs. The Stolen Version: Did the Best Taylor Swift Album Just Get Better?

As many people know, Taylor Swift has been rerecording all of her old albums and calling them “Taylor’s Version”. If you don’t know the story, here’s some background. In November of 2018, Taylor Swift left her record label, “Big Machine Records”, owned by a man called Scooter Braun. When she left, he had control over her first 6 albums that were released with Big Machine. Taylor was NOT happy about this because she writes all of her own songs and wants to have control over them. This caused a big fight and lots of drama between Swift and Braun. In July of 2019, famous singer, Kelly Clarkson tweeted a post that said “@taylorswift13 just a thought, U should go in & re-record all the songs that U don’t own the masters on exactly how U did them but put brand new art & some kind of incentive so fans will no longer buy the old versions. I’d buy all of the new versions just to prove a point”. And Taylor did just that. She started by releasing “Fearless (Taylor’s Version) on April 9, 2021. With this album the fans of Taylor Swift learned that she added 6 new songs that have never been released. She called these “From The Vault”. Tracks that had been written during that era, but did not make it on the album. She then continued to do that for her albums Red, Speak Now, and most recently, 1989. 

1989 was an album that some may argue was Taylor’s best work. Songs such as “Bad Blood” and “Shake It Off” are some of her greatest hits. Swift released “1989 (Taylor’s Version) October 27, 2023. With the rerecording came 5 new “Vault Tracks”. Each of these songs added a touch to her album that made it even better. The most popular track being “Is it over now” still holding the third place spot on the Billboard Hot 100, almost a month later. 

Taylor Swift is running the music industry and has incredible talent. I give “1989 (Taylor’s Version) an A+. In my eyes, it is perfect.