Philosophy Club Fosters Interesting Debates and Valuable Lessons for PSHS Students

Thinking is a way of life in Mr. Lippa’s Philosophy Club…

Wikimedia+Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Hugo Gizzi, Staff Writer

“What is the meaning of life?” This is a question that no one knows the answer to, and yet members of the philosophy club are actively trying to answer it along with other hard-hitting questions. Every other Tuesday, members of the philosophy club gather in Mr. Lippa’s room to discuss anything that comes to their mind, current events, or even simple issues that students have noticed about the world.

Mr. Lippa and his students then debate and reflect on how these different topics relate to our experience as humans. Lippa will offer writings, quotes, and other teachings from famous philosophers to help the students answer their difficult questions. 

“If we are going to understand the relationships we have with people, and the idea of having an introspective, critical mind, we need to understand the great ideas that existed before us,” said Lippa. The students learn from the past to improve their minds and their knowledge. Members of the philosophy club not only look into the past, but also into the future, 

“The same problems, questions, or conflicts that we have in 2021, have existed throughout mankind and history,” said Lippa. Not only are the lessons of the past important, but their application in today’s world matters just as much. Through the philosophy club, students are equipped to face the problems of mankind, and do so in a civil and democratic way. 

As for further goals, Lippa has expressed interest in taking the group for field trips sometime in the future.

“I would love to find opportunities, locally, to engage students in more philosophical forums,” said Lippa. His ultimate goal is for the group to become fully student driven, where the teacher can sit back and watch his students engage in meaningful and fair conversations. 

For some students at Plymouth South, answering questions about life, mankind, and the universe may seem daunting. But members of the philosophy club know how important it is to discuss these difficult topics. As Socrates once said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.”